Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
RESESS First-Year Intern
at UNAVCO, Inc.
UNAVCO, a non-profit membership-governed consortium, facilitates geoscience research and education using geodesy. Learn about UNAVCO on YouTube.
RESESS is an undergraduate internship and support program in the Earth sciences based at UNAVCO in Boulder, Colorado, that is dedicated to increasing diversity and inclusion in the geosciences. The goal of the RESESS internship program is to increase the number of students from groups that are underrepresented in the geosciences.
RESESS encourages applications from students who are members of historically underrepresented groups in the Earth sciences, including students with disabilities, non-traditional students, and students from cultural/racial minorities.
We introduce students to scientific research, prepare students for graduate school or industry careers, and provide support and encouragement as students build skills and confidence. Students participate in an authentic research experience and are encouraged to consider careers in geoscience, whether that is in research, teaching, or industry. Students can participate up to two years, depending on when they enter the program.
- This position is full-time, exempt, and based in or near Boulder, CO from May 20 – August 2, 2019
- Stipend for 11 weeks
- Round trip airfare to Denver, CO is included at no cost
- A shared furnished apartment at no cost
- An impactful research experience in the geosciences
- A scientific writing course with training in presentation skills
- Opportunity to participate in a national science meeting
Interns are responsible for active engagement in all aspects of the program to ensure they meet individual and program objectives in research, cohort activities, and oral and written presentations.
Essential Job Functions
Engage in original scientific research at UNAVCO or partnering laboratories as assigned. First-year interns will follow the guidance of their scientific mentors
- Writing and Presentations
Participate in weekly scientific writing and communication workshops, including preparation and presentation of weekly assignments
Prepare an oral presentation and submit an abstract, a research paper, and a scientific poster by the conclusion of the summer program
- Seminars and Field Trips
Participate in seminars and field trips
If eligible, attend a funded trip to a national scientific conference to present their research related to RESESS
Interns will develop oral presentations or poster presentations and represent the RESESS internship and UNAVCO
Participate in RESESS outreach initiatives
- Professional Development and Community Awareness
As part of a diverse community working and living together, interns will learn how to interact and communicate in a professional manner and how to contribute positively to their communities
Other duties as assigned
- Team Support
Participate on cross-functional teams
- Work in conjunction with RESESS and UNAVCO team members to plan and complete assignments
- Work in conjunction with community members to plan and complete assignments
- Interacts effectively with various UNAVCO staff to ensure the completion of assigned responsibilities. Does not have a supervisory responsibility.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills to interface with RESESS, UNAVCO, peers, and community members
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze data and interpret data
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Strong orientation to collaboration and teamwork
- Ability to work full-time in or near Boulder, CO for the entire summer program
- United States citizen or permanent resident status
UNAVCO Core Competencies
- Accountability and Responsibility
- Relationship Building
- Skilled Problem Solver
- Customer Focus
- Strategic Thinking
Physical Work Demands
- Ability to sit and/or stand to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to move about a typical office and outdoor work/research environment on a daily basis
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds occasionally
Mental Work Demands
- Regular and on-time attendance
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions
- Occasional travel by conventional means including aircraft, motor vehicle and the like
Note: To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this position.
- High school diploma
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program with a major in Earth or environmental sciences or related field with one semester of college remaining after their first summer as a RESESS intern
- Basic knowledge of the Earth and/or environmental sciences
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Completed the equivalent of at least two years of college
- Basic research or data analysis experience
- Proficiency or ability to gain proficiency with the following systems:
- MS Office/Mac desktop applications
- Scientific computing tools and programs
How to Apply
To apply to RESESS, you must fill out the online application (see below). To apply to RESESS as a first-year intern, you must fill out the RESESS Intern – First-Year application. Note that you cannot go back and edit your answers or document once submitted.
**Do not upload a resume or CV. When prompted, select " Proceed without resume/CV."**
- The application has many steps, each with several questions:
- On the first page, you do not need to upload a resume or CV. Select " Proceed without resume/CV ".
- In Step 2, for questions about the job type and career level, select "intern" or "internship". You do not need to answer the questions about relevant work experience or desired salary.
- In Step 3, you do not need to answer the questions about additional countries in which you are authorized to work or security clearance.
- In Step 6, do not upload your résumé. Instead, please upload a single PDF containing all of your college transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted).
- Step 7 includes the questions that are particular to the RESESS program. You must provide a short essay response to each of these questions (max 200 words per essay). The essay questions for first year interns are listed below.
- In Step 8, you will not need to answer any of the questions.
- You will need to provide a copy of college transcripts to the RESESS program before the application deadline, for all colleges that you have attended. Please upload the single PDF of your transcripts in Step 6.
- Complete the application by February 1, 2019 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time.
- If you are notified that you are a finalist by February 9, 2019, you will need two letters of recommendation from college faculty members or research advisors to be emailed directly to email@example.com no later than February 20, 2019. See the FAQ with tips on who to choose for references.
- Direct your references to the web page with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation.
UNAVCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
The application deadline is February 1, 2019 at 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time.