University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Job Title: Administrator III
Location: Boulder, CO
Type: Full-time, Exempt
This position will be posted until a sufficient number of applications have been received. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
UCAR/NCAR will sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
Where You Will Work:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences. NCAR is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).
What You Will Do:
Shares in the governance of NCAR’s Climate and Global Dynamics (CGD) Laboratory, together with the governing members of CGD, including the Director, Deputy Director and Section Heads. Leads all lab administrative functions and provides strong leadership and oversight of the administrative team. In accordance with UCAR policies, provides expert direction and management in all areas of administration, including budgeting, planning and human resources. Maintains effective working relationships and communications with all staff, as well as with administrators throughout NCAR. This position is supervised by the CGD Laboratory Director.
Laboratory Governance and Organization (20%)
- Contributes a comprehensive administrative perspective on all aspects of the lab’s workings and decision making.
- Works closely with the Director to establish and review current fiscal year funding sources and to match these to staff resources across CGD programs.
- Develops, with the CGD Director, out-year staff resource plans to meet program objectives and goals.
- Sets agendas for and leads CGD executive meetings such as section head meetings and Senior Scientific Advisory Committee meetings.
- Provides support to the lab Director and Deputy Director as needed. In consultation with the Director, responds to requests from the NCAR Directorate or UCAR Administration on a variety of matters as they arise. Is a member of the NCAR Administrators Committee.
General Laboratory Administration (20%)
- Responsible for the management of all lab administrative functions.
- Exercises leadership over the administrative team, and provides opportunities for development.
- Works with this team to stay abreast of administrative needs and to design and implement improvements.
- Reviews and adjusts CGD’s administration environment as needed. Supervises exempt and non-exempt administrative staff.
- Ensures adherence to UCAR and NCAR policies and procedures.
- Analyzes needs and provides solutions in areas such as personnel, cost monitoring and administrative computing.
- Works with the Director to assess budgets and plans, to review proposal submissions, to assure proper post-award administration, to determine office allocations, and to resolve human resources issues.
- Oversees web presence and content.
Program Budgeting and Monitoring (20%)
- In consultation with the CGD budget lead, monitors program fiscal progress across all funding sources.
- Analyzes the lab’s annual NSF budget target in comparison with its financial need, identifies fiscal imbalances, and makes recommendations to resolve noted shortfalls.
- Oversees CGD's annual budgets for both the NSF Base direct and NCAR indirect funding, MTDC estimates and CSC rate development.
- Works with the CGD Director and budget lead to prepare budget analyses and tables related to the Annual Budget Review (ABR)
Human Resources (20%)
- Oversees HR processes and procedures. Stays current with UCAR Human Resources policies and practices and is a resource to division staff on HR matters.
- Works with CGD HR administrator on hiring, promotions and termination decisions and processes.
- Works with the CGD Director to determine annual salary increases for staff.
- Engages in employee relations including performance improvement and staff reclassifications
- Leads the hiring selection of division administrative staff.
- Supports CGD nominations to the NCAR Appointments Review Group. Receives nominations for Performance awards and carries them forward.
Program Planning (10%)
- Works with the CGD Director and the lab budget lead to prepare text and presentation related to the Annual Budget Review (ABR).
- Alongside the lab Executive Assistant I, compiles and reviews text for the NCAR Program Plan, Program Operating Plan (POP) and POP Progress Report, and Laboratory Annual Report.
- Supports the NCAR and CGD Strategic and Implementation Plan.
- Interacts with the CGD Advisory Panel.
Relationships and Communications (10%)
- Serves as main point of contact for laboratory staff on a wide variety of topics, including personnel and budget issues, and policy and procedures.
- Participates in the implementation of new administrative processes and systems that may arise during UCAR’s Operations Excellence and Business Process Excellence. Represents CGD on organization-wide committees.
- Provides and oversees web presence and content.
What You Need:
Education and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in business or science and at least ten years of relevant professional-level administrative experience, including supervision of administrative teams; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent skill in leading, managing, motivating, and developing staff.
- Excellent skill in building effective work processes, identifying and implementing best practices, and managing change.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources administration. Proven skill in human resource activities including hiring, performance reviews, salary setting, staff actions and performance enhancement planning.
- Advanced skill in complex budget planning, monitoring, analyzing and reporting.
- Advanced ability to work within UCAR enterprise tools.
- Advanced skill using financial tools, spreadsheets, databases and in preparing analytical data reports.
- Advanced skill in program and staffing planning, direct and indirect cost analysis and projections, and decision analysis.
- Ability to work independently or in a team while effectively delegating tasks and fostering a positive work environment.
- Advanced skill in project management, simultaneously managing both major projects and routine operational activities to meet internal and external schedules.
- Ability to interpret and operate within policies and procedures including procurement and contract requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with diverse staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to create technical and non-technical reports and present information to diverse audiences.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Knowledge of laws and practices guiding personnel activities.
- Understanding of web content and ability to lead technical staff.
What’s in it for You:
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)