University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Job Title: Buyer II
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Type: Full-time, Exempt
No relocation package is offered for this position.
U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position.
UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
Where You Will Work:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world’s premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge, providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in the atmospheric and related sciences. NCAR is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and managed by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).
What You Will Do:
This full-time position will purchase a variety of scientific equipment, computing hardware and software, and materials and supplies for the Research Applications Laboratory. Writes purchase requisitions, tracks and reports on purchases to RAL management and external
sponsors, works with outside vendors and works with the UCAR Contracts Office.
- Researches, evaluates and implements requests to purchase in collaboration with RAL Systems Administrators; ensures equipment is appropriate, reasonably priced and can be supported within the Lab. Serves as liaison between Lab and vendors. Contacts and negotiates with vendors to get quotes, figure out timelines and determine optimal methods for purchasing and shipping.
- Writes purchase requisitions (PRs) or uses UCAR Purchasing Card (P-Card) to make purchases in accordance with UCAR and RAL IT policies and procedures. May purchase up to $50K per month on credit card. Typically purchases approximately $1M in goods and services annually. Tracks purchases and facilitates problem resolution with vendors. Reconciles invoices and monthly credit card statements in compliance with established policies.
- Maintains records of purchase requisitions and P-card transactions. Works with vendors and technical staff on Return Material Authorizations (RMAs).
- Works closely throughout the purchasing process with UCAR Contracts and Finance staff to ensure compliance with specific orders.
- Works in conjunction with RAL Division Property Administrator (DPA) to ensure that PRs are correct with regard to object codes and tagging requirements. Acts as the backup RAL DPA.
- Purchases and tracks all software for the Lab’s 1500+ computers and ensures compliance with software license requirements of various vendors.
- Pays careful attention to sponsor requirements with regard to purchasing and maintaining functional systems so that licenses don’t expire unintentionally.
- Modifies and maintains software tracking database.
- Establishes and monitors yearly blanket and maintenance awards for all hardware and software.
- Analyzes and tracks purchasing data and prepares a variety of reports on expenditures and trends for RAL staff and management; may also prepare reports for UCAR Contracts Office as requested.
- As a member of RAL’s Computer Service Center staff (RAL IT), attends regular group meetings and may serve as a member of CSC Teams and/or Task Groups.
- May attend UCAR-wide committee meetings or working groups related to purchase functions.
What You Need:
Education and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant academic discipline plus two years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skill and experience in purchasing computer hardware and software and working with outside vendors to complete purchases.
- Demonstrated skill and experience researching and purchasing in an online environment.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in establishing and monitoring maintenance awards for computing equipment and software.
- Demonstrated skill handling RMA’s with outside vendors.
- Demonstrated skill with word processing, database and spreadsheet software packages and exchanging data between them, preferably in the Microsoft Windows environment.
- Demonstrated skill analyzing data and generating reports.
- Skill in the administration of business agreements and technical contract requirements.
- Experience with government purchasing regulations and agency tracking requirements.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Familiarity with computer hardware and software components.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy, interrupt-prone working environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and to work as a part of a diverse team.
- Ability to diffuse difficult or complex situations and outline paths to mutually agreeable resolution.
- Ability to work closely with technical staff.
- Ability to multi-task with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy.
- Ability to list up to 35 lbs, in accordance with UCAR Safety and Site Services recommendations.
What’s in it for You:
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Retirement Plan
- And more!
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.