University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Deputy Director, Facilities Operations
at University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
Job Title: Deputy Director, Facilities Operations
Location: Boulder, Co
Type: Full-time, Exempt
This position will be posted until a sufficient number of applications have been received. Thereafter, applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
Relocation package is offered for this position.
U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) is required for this position. UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa (e.g., J-1, H1-B, etc.) for this position.
Where You Will Work:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) serves and participates in a collaborative community of researchers and educators who are dedicated to understanding the atmosphere -- the air around us -- and the complex processes that make up the Earth system, from the ocean floor to the Sun’s core. UCAR manages the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) on behalf of the National Science Foundation and the university community.
What You Will Do:
The Deputy Director of Facilities Operations is a key supporting role to the Director of FMS&S and assists the Director in providing management support for the Maintenance, Custodial, Logistics, Transportation, Event Services, Site Services and Security functional areas. This position works directly with the Building Operations managers responsible for these functions. The position is responsible for ensuring that the department establishes and maintains effective communication with UCAR program units (labs and programs) and ensures that operational business needs are addresses in a timely manner. This position develops creative and innovative solutions to address challenges and opportunities that present themselves to the
organization and to mitigate existing risk.
- Working with the director and Building Operations managers, responsible for developing and implementing short and long-term tactical plans that provide critical support services to the labs and programs.
- Working directly with the Building Operations managers, serves as a liaison with NCARIUCAR entities at a tactical level to develop new business processes and assists in coordinating operational changes.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and best practice examples to managers to promote internal and cross functional team work, training, assessment and recognition.
- Assists Building Operations managers in day-to-day operations such as work activity coordination, fiduciary responsibilities, routine approvals, recruiting, exception to policy and employee issues.
- Responsible for driving department operational metrics and statistics that measure operational results against strategic priorities, ensuring metrics and statistics are produced on a regular basis.
- Working directly with the Building Operations managers, oversees performance of third party facilities services contracts (i.e. security, custodial, landscaping, snow removal).
- Oversight and day-to-day management of operating budgets.
- Serves as a member on the organization’s safety committee.
- Track projects, analyze data, keep project leads and stakeholders informed via reports, presentations and/or other communication of timelines, issues and risks.
- Working with the Building Operations managers and the Engineering team lead, provides input to project development.
- Ensures close coordination with the Engineering team throughout the life of a project.
- Working with the Building Operations managers and the Engineering team, participates in reviewing plans for feasibility, compliance with building codes and regulations, compatibility with sustainability goals and user needs.
What You Need:
Education and Years of Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in business administration or a related engineering discipline.
- 4 -5 years of business operations management experience, preferably in the facilities operations area.
Preferred but not required:
5 - 10 years’ business operations management experience, preferably in the facilities operations area.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience with managing business operations supporting facilities services related to the construction, modification, operation and maintenance of research facilities and buildings, infrastructure equipment and grounds.
- Proven experience in tactical planning, including assessment of customer needs.
- Knowledge of and experience in assessing physical and technical security risks (excluding IT security), procedures and response.
- Working knowledge of food services and conference center management.
- Working knowledge of logistics operations in a scientific environment.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communications and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated skill in managing diverse teams.
- Knowledge of health, environmental and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience in assessing emergency and disaster recovery risks including mitigation strategies.
What’s in it for You:
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Retirement Plan
- And more!
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse workforce. UCAR is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy.
Whatever your intersection of identities, you are welcome at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). We are committed to inclusivity and promoting an equitable environment that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our organization.