University of Colorado Boulder
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Histotechnologist (3 Positions)
at University of Colorado Boulder
*Applicationsare accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver lAnschutz Medical Campus
The Department of Pathology has anopening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Histotechnologist (2Positions) position.
The University of Colorado AnschutzMedical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care,education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaborationand interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools ofDental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; aHealth Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous tothe campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completedVeterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduatedegrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learnalongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries andprovide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hubfor research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in researchawards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 newcompanies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
TheHistotechnologist position is responsible for processing all specimens receivedin the Histology laboratory under minimal supervision. Specific duties toinclude but not limited to: preparing histological processing of all surgicalpathology specimens in preparation for Pathologist review and diagnosis;receiving all histology specimens and processing them using variousmethodologies involving complex machinery and staining systems; preparing theslides for Pathologist review by cutting prepared blocks of tissue utilizingcomplex machinery; and staining slides whether with routine, special orimmunohistochemical stains. This position will also label, enter and track theprogress of the specimen until it reaches the Pathologist for diagnosis. Thisis extremely important in overall patient care as inappropriate processing,lost specimens or incorrectly labeled specimens can result in incorrect orunavailable diagnoses which can cause repeat procedures or life threateningtreatment choices. This Histotechnologistwill participate in the management of the histology area by maintaininginventory of supplies, cleaning and organizing of work, stations, disposal ofbiological waste, and adherence to all compliance and operational procedures.This position requires independent judgment in selection of methodologiesutilized in processing tissue specimens and in solving routine problems. TheHistotechnologist must be familiar with all laboratory policies and procedures.This position requires excellent interpersonal skills where customer serviceand responsibility to patient care is the priority.
Additionalduties include documentation per CAP guidelines, communication withpathologists/residents and troubleshooting equipment malfunctions. This is nota supervisory position. However, thisposition will demonstrate communication of all problems and concerns to theHistology Supervisor and/or pertinent superiors. If there are no superiors present at thetime, the employee shall handle the situation and immediately inform the Histology Supervisor upon arrival of the corrective actions taken.
- Utilizes appropriate equipment with precision for all histologicalprotocols.
- Performs complex staining techniques and demonstrates competency withimmunohistochemical procedures to include in situ hybridization reactions.
- Performs computer data entry, recall, and labeling on complex pathologynetwork (LIS).
- Performs routine preventative maintenance, cleaning, and minoradjustments on all lab equipment.
- Prepares and examine solutions for contamination, impurities, orinstability.
- Follows procedures on all lab tests.
- Examines microscopically all stained slides and controls to determineaccuracy of the last test and make modifications to the procedures as needed.
- Retrieves and stores specimens properly for long term storage.
- Assists in maintaining accreditation standards, to include all check sheetsand quality control information sheets.
- Maintains archived Histological slides and blocks.
- Performs all procedures in a timely manner.
- Answer laboratory phone properly and take information correctly.
- Assists in the ordering of laboratory supplies to maintain properinventory.
- Knowledgeable of all lab procedures and specimen submissionrequirements.
- Understand and use proper safety practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complete allUCD required training and compliance courses
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Thehiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtimecompensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information onUniversity benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The Universityof Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus isdedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff,students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct backgroundinvestigations for all prospective employees.
The Universityof Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus iscommitted to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty andadministrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture ofinclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourageapplications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and allveterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality ineducation and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in a biological, healthor social science or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- One (1) year of experience working in aclinical histology lab.
- Histotechnician or Histotechnologist Certification (HTL, ASCP), or eligibility for certification. If eligible, but uncertified, certification must be obtained within 1 year of hire date.
Substitution:A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experiencemay be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but notfor the specific experience or certification.
Conditionsof Employment: Must be willing and able to…
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you tofumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, andinfectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardousmaterials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time,frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratoryequipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment whenhandling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Three (3) years' of experience in a clinicalhistology lab.
- Immunohistochemistry Certification (QIHC,ASCP).
- Experience using laboratory equipment such ascomplex machinery and staining systems.
- Experience calculating lab results and datausing math and analytical skills.
- Experience using MS Word and Excel. Preferredexperience will include developing reports, spreadsheets, and databases usingthe mentioned software programs.
- Experience entering data into an electronicsystem.
- Experience with medical terminology, humananatomy and physiology.
- Experience purchasing and maintaining labsupplies.
- Experience cleaning and maintaininglaboratories and lab equipment.
- Experience working within an educationalmedical lab environment in laboratories.
Competencies/Knowledge,Skills and Abilities:
- Highly motivated individual looking to pursue a long term careerin histology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills where customer service andresponsibility to patient care is the priority.
- Self-starter that demonstrates the ability to work individuallywith minimal supervision as well as part of a team of technologists, showproficiency at solving complex problems, and exhibit excellent computer skills(all Microsoft products and preferably QuickBooks).
- Willing and capable of learning new techniques relating tohistology and molecular pathology.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with theability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds which alsoincludes experience working with students, staff, and faculty, within a highereducation and/or academic medical environment.
- Ability to interpret complex rules, regulations, policies,procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to listen and follow precise protocols and writteninstructions.
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload, file correctly byalphabetical and numerical order.
- Must possess a professional demeanor and have experience thatdemonstrates problem solving skills and the ability to manage multiple tasksand work independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possessexcellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communicationskills.
- Ability to take direction and use independent judgment tocoordinate and meet multiple deadlines.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and security compliancerequirements.
- Demonstratedcommitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Joseph Wozniak at Joseph.Wozniak@ucdenver.edu.